The Cathedral of Christ the Savior (The Nativity of Christ Cathedral in Moscow) is a cathedral of the Russian Orthodox Church, the rebuilt 19thcentury cathedral of the same name, a memorial to the warriors who perished during the war of 1812 (architect Konstantin Thon). On December 5, 1931, the Cathedral building was demolished, although it was rebuilt in the same place from 1994 through 1997.
This is the biggest Russian Orthodox church. It can accommodate 10,000 people. In plain view the church look like an equilateral cross about 85 m wide. The current height of the cathedral with the dome and the cross is 103 m (it is 1.5 m higher than Saint Isaac’s Cathedral). It was erected following the traditions of the so called Russian-Byzantine style, widely supported by the government when the construction began. The interior mural decorations occupy about 22,000 m², about 9,000 m² of which are gold-plated.